16/8/09

reporting verbs practice

In each sentence, choose the best word or phrase to complete the gap from the choices below (a, b, c, or d).

REPORTING VERBS ARE THOSE VERBS USED TO INTRODUCED THE REPORTED SPEECH.
EN ESTA ACTIVIDAD PRACTICAMOS LOS VERBOS PARA INTRODUCIR EL ESTILO INDIRECTO.




1. The motorist _______ that the police consider giving a warning instead of a fine for using his mobile while driving.
a) asked b) wondered
c) inquired d) told

2. Many US visitors to the UK _______ on having air conditioning on in their hotel rooms, even when the weather is not hot.
a) order b) advise
c) insist d) ask

3. After telling us about the new students' room, she _______ that we were no longer allowed to drink coffee in classrooms.
a) added b) told
c) replied d) reminded

4. One of the students ________ having the lesson in the garden as it was such beautiful weather that day.
a) advised b) insisted
c) asked d) suggested

5. One of my friends is always ________ getting up early every morning.
a) accusing b) insisting
c) complaining d) denying

6. I was ________ not to return to my home along the coast road but to take a different route through the mountains.
a) insisted b) suggested
c) warned d) promised

7. My friend was arrested last week because he couldn't ________ having explosives in his backpack when the police searched him.
a) accuse b) explain
c) admit d) deny

8. Our teacher apologised ________ one of the students' names for the third time.
a) that he forgot b) for forgetting
c) to not remember d) for he forgot

9. I politely _______ their invitation to go to the pub because I needed to spend more time on my homework.
a) accepted b) replied
c) declined d) denied

10. None of the class members _________ to taking the chocolate while the teacher had been out of the room.
a) admitted b) apologised
c) agreed d) accepted

11. I was totally shocked when the police _________ being a terrorist and warned me that I could be held for thirty days without trial.
a) alleged me b) accused me of
c) suggested me d) claimed me of

12. My lawyer ________ remaining silent and suggested that I tell the police everything I knew about my mysterious flatmate.
a) advised against b) told me not
c) warned d) suggested

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario