25/8/08

Do or Make


The two verbs 'do' and 'make' are often confused. The meanings are similar, but there are differences.


'Do' for Activities



Use the verb 'do' to express daily activities or jobs. Notice that these are usually activities that produce no physical object.'Do' is often used when referring to work of any kind.

do your work
do your job
do homework
do housework
do the ironing
do the dishes
do a job
do your hair
do an exam
do a crossword
do the ironing
do the laundry
do the washing


'Do' for General Ideas

Use the verb 'do' when speaking about things in general. In other words, when we do not exactly name an activity. This form is often used with the words 'something, nothing, anything, everything, etc.'

I'm not doing anything today.
He does everything for his mother.
She's doing nothing at the moment.

Important Expressions with 'Do'

There are a number of standard expressions that take the verb 'do'. These are standard collocations (verb + noun combinations) that are used in English.

do one's best
do good
do harm
do a favour
do business
do well
do your nails
do business


'Make' for Constructing, Buildining , Creating



Use 'make' to express an activity that creates something that you can touch.

make food
make a cup of tea / coffee
make a mess

Important Expressions with 'Make'

There are a number of standard expressions that take the verb 'make'. In a number of cases the verb 'do' seems more appropriate. These are standard collocations (verb + noun combinations) that are used in English.


make an exception
make a telephone call
make amends
make arrangements
make believe - (to pretend)
make a choice
make a comment
make a decision
make a difference
make an effort
make an enquiry
make an excuse
make a fool of yourself
make a fortune
make friends
make a fuss
make a journey
make love
make a mess
make a mistake
make money
make a move
make a noise
make a phone call
make a plan
make a point
make a profit
make a promise
make a remark
make a sound
make a speech
make a suggestion
make time
make a visit
make your bed - (to prepare the bed for sleeping in)

Make or Do Activity - Vocabulary Quiz

1.If you want to buy that car, I'm sure we can _____ a deal.
2.Let's go out tonight and _____ the town!
3.I _____ an appointment to visit my doctor yesterday.
4.Excuse me, could you _____ me a favor and watch my bags for a moment?
5.Timmy! I told you to not _____ a mess in the living room!
6.I'm afraid I can't come. I'm going to _____ my homework after school.
7.How much money does your father _____?
8.Tom's _____ a phone call at the moment, he'll be back shortly.
9.He really doesn't want to _____ that decision.
10.I like _____ business with Jack.
11.I usually _____ the cleaning on Saturday Morning.
12.Do you ____ your bed every morning?
13.Sue cooks but I _____ the dishes.
14.I usually _____ about 50 sit ups in the morning.
15.I usually _____ about 50 sit ups in the morning.
16.I'd be happy if you would _____ the honors.
17.John _____ everything by hand - he is amazing!
18.How much profit did your company _____ last quarter?
19.You don't need to _____ a face if you don't like my cooking!
20.Please, _____ yourselves at home. I'll only be a minute.
21.I don't think you _____ any harm.
22.I was _____ 100 mph when the policeman stopped me.
23.OK, I'll _____ an exception this time. But ONLY this time!
24.I think his help _____ a lot of good for the children.
25._____ peace not war.
26.Have you _____ any progress on that report yet?
27.The soldier _____ his duty to his country.
28.All that matters is that you _____ your best on the test.
29.I don't want you to _____ an excuse. I want you to explain your actions.
30.He _____ all the arrangements for his trip to Europe last weekend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario