25/8/09

Classroom language when using the board / Lenguaje útil del profesor de Inglés en la Pizarra.




Useful classroom language for teachers while using the board /
Vocabulario útil cuando estamos delante de los alumnos en la pizarra en la clase de Inglés.





When you are using the board is a critical time to make sure you use lots of interesting and relevant language, as the students are often passive while the teacher is writing on the board and the teacher has their back to the class and so can't make eye contact with the students to get their attention and check that they are understanding. The fact you are doing something and speaking about it also means that students can understand what you are saying from the context and so should learn the language you are using by watching and listening.


Before you start writing

"Okay, I'll write the answers for exercise B on the board (as we check them)"

"Shout out any adjectives you can think of, and I'll write them on the board"

"I'm only going to write the words I think are difficult, so please ask me if you have any other questions"



Explaining what you are writing

"The red pen is the meaning of the tense, the part written in black is the name of the tense, and the blue part is the typical mistake/ [If you always use the same colour code] What does the red part (always) mean? And the black part? Good!"

"The right hand column is the object, the middle column is the verb, and the column on the left is the subject"

"This symbol means 'not equal' and this symbol means 'opposite'"

"'Adj' stands for adjective"

"This upside down 'e' letter is called 'schwa'. It's the last sound in 'computer'"

"The part of the sentence in brackets is optional"

"The part in capital letters/ italics is the part of the sentence that needs to be corrected"

"The underlined part is the part that usually stays the same"



Eliciting things onto the board

"What's the next word?"

"Can anyone give me an example sentence?"

"What's this sound? Where is it on the phonemic chart poster?"



While you are at the board

"While I'm cleaning the board/ writing this up, can someone/ everyone take out your books/ move the tables back/ pass out these worksheets?"



Checking

"Can everyone read that? What about the people at the back?"

"Is my writing big enough?"

"Don't be shy. I know my handwriting is awful, so tell me if you can't read anything"

"Is that colour okay?"

"Please tell me if the reflection on the board is a problem"

"Do you know what this word means?"

"Can I wipe that off now?"

"Has everyone finished copying it down?"

"Have you finished with this part? Can I erase just this section?"



Adding extra information

"Let me give you an extra example."

"I'll write the phonemic symbols on to help you"

"Let me mark every syllable as well as the main stress. That should help"



Asking students to copy things down

"Can you copy (just) the table into your notebooks?"

"You don't have to copy everything down, just whatever you really think is important"

"The parts I have underlined/ circled will probably be in the exam, so I suggest you write those bits down"

"No translations! Copy the English explanations and examples from the board!"

"There's no need to copy this down, it's all in your books. (We'll have a look at it later)"

"I'll give you time to copy it all down later"



Referring to the board later

"We don't say 'He do', do we? Have a look at the examples on the board."

"You will probably have noticed that the answers to the first two questions are already on the board"

"The example sentences from earlier all refer to the pictures in your book. Match the pictures there with the sentences on the board"

"You can use the information on the board to fill in the table in your books/ to correct the sentences on the worksheet"



Dealing with people who can't see

"Can you see the board better when I turn this light off?"

"Do you think closing the blinds/ curtains might help?"

"Maybe if you sat nearer the front..."

"Is it better if I use a black pen instead of a red one?"

"Okay, I'll try to write bigger."



Drawing their attention to things you have written up when they weren't looking

"The answers to that exercise are written up on the board mixed up to help you."

"I've written the rules of the game up on the board"

"This bit up here is the instructions for the listening task. Please do this, and not the task in your books"

"Here are some useful phrases you can use while you are playing the game"



Dealing with other problems

"Whoops, (I) dropped my pen!"

"Oh dear, (I) didn't mean to erase that part!"

"Sorry, I've mixed up the two meanings of 'will'. This one is a prediction and this one is a spontaneous intention. Can you change that in your books?"

"I'll just check the spelling of that word in my dictionary."

"You're right! I always have problems spelling that word"

"Can someone go to the staffroom and get me some more pens/ chalk?"

"I've lost the board rubber/ pen cap. Did anyone see where I put it?"

"There doesn't seem to be a board eraser. Does anyone have any tissue I can borrow?"

"Some idiot has used permanent marker on the board. Sorry about his, but we'll just have to use the right hand side for today"



If students are using the board

"Don't worry; this kind of pen will wash right off"

"You've got pen on your fingers. Do you want to go to the bathroom and wash it off?"

"You've got chalk dust on the back of your skirt. There's just a little bit left. Can someone help her brush it off?"

"Sorry, can you write a little bit bigger? Some people at the back can't see."

"Can anyone help Janet spell that word?"

"Can you pass the pen to the next person?"

"A little bit higher/ lower/further to the right"

from: usingenglish.com

1 comentario:

  1. Hola!,

    gracias por el comentario que me has hecho, me alegra saber que te he aportado algo porque veo que haces mucho uso de la Web. No me ha parecido precisamente humilde este blog, me he entretenido más de una hora y al final me he parado en este post un buen rato. Muy útil! Ya veo que el mes de agosto también has trabajado ;-)
    Espero que te parezca bien que ponga un link como ejemplo de un tipo de blog de profesor, creo que merece la pena tenerlo seleccionado. http://www.isabelperez.com/taller1/blog_uso.htm

    Ah, y si quieres contactar otra vez conmigo de una forma más directa, la dirección está en la página "webmaster(at)isabelperez.com

    Thanks again, and please, next time don't hesitate to say hello I'll be happy to meet you.

    ResponderEliminar